News & Events
This page has the latest news from Canadian Academy. Visit our news archive to search for older announcements.
Dr. Jose Medina Workshops
Unfortunately, we received word that Dr. Jose Medina needed to undergo an emergency operation this past weekend. As a result, his upcoming workshops have been postponed. After his recovery, we will try to arrange a date for him to join us, as he has much to offer in regards to multilingualism and being internationally minded. The workshops and various events previously scheduled have been removed from our school calendar.
Please join us in offering Dr. Medina a speedy recovery, and we look forward to his visit in the months ahead.
We are pleased to share Key Dates for the 2019-2020 school year. We hope that this will help you plan your travel dates and holidays!
- August 22, 2019: First Day of School
- September 16, 2019: No school - Respect for the Aged
- October 22, 2019: No school - Imperial Enthronement Ceremony (for this year only)
- Week of October 28, 2019: No school - Fall Break
- November 4 & 5, 2019: No school for students - Professional Development days for all faculty
- December 23, 2019 – January 10, 2020: No school - Winter Break
- February 17-18, 2020: No school - CA Holiday
- Week of March 23, 2020: No school - Spring Break
- May 4 & 5, 2020: No school- Golden Week Holiday
- June 16, 2020: Last Day of School
Please join us for our Instrumental Concert performed by our secondary students across Grades 7-10. We hope to see you on Nov. 30th, in our Main Theater, starting at 6:00 pm. It should be a wonderful concert!
Thanks to all the parents who managed to come to CA to view Screenagers last week. The film elicited rich conversations amongst both parents and students. Shortly we will be delivering a CA Family Tech Agreement platform for you to agree as a family on commitments regarding device use to promote well being in your family. For this week we would like to share with you some resources and apps that the Screenagers producers recommend for managing device use at home and at school. These include ways of limiting wifi access to certain times, limiting access to time wasting applications, or limiting screen time. See details here.
Cezars is offering roasted chickens, whole roasted turkeys, hams, and Thanksgiving dinners with sides for pickup including on Japan Labour Thanksgiving Day. If you'd like to order for your family's holiday meal or any occasion please stop by the Cezar's Kitchen during regular school hours.
Second term 2018/2019
Mini Judo : Tuesdays 3.30 - 4.25pm
Judo for Elementary : Tuesdays 4.40 - 5.45pm
Agenda (10 lessons) :
January 15, 22, 29
February 5, 12, 19, 26
March 5, 12, 19
Place : ELAC building, Multi-Purpose Room
Pack of 10 lessons ¥12,000 + Insurance ¥800 for newcomers
Trial lesson ¥1,200
Uniform needed (please see with the coach or amazon/rakuten)
Mini Judo : Pre-K, KA, KB
Judo : Grades 1 to 5
All levels are welcome
Please fill in the registration form attached and send the information to Ikeda sensei
Contact : Ikeda sensei / email@example.com / 090-8526-1695
Any questions in English, please contact Isabelle Lafont / firstname.lastname@example.org
CA 204: Cezar's Kitchen - Feeding CA students for 12 years
Cezar's Kitchen, based in Nagoya, began operating our cafeteria twelve years ago. You will
also find them at 10 other international schools in Japan and 5 others in Asia (including
Malaysia and South Korea). Other schools in Japan include Senri-Osaka International, Nagoya
International, and St Mary's. They also offer catering services for businesses such as P&G in
Kobe and operate The Rock, a cafe-bar in downtown Kobe.
Ben Larbi Hichem, the manager, who hails from Tunisia is in his fourth year at CA. Pavel, the
assistant, is in his third year. The Cezar's Kitchen staff at CA is quite diverse. Polish, Filipino,
French, Ghanaian, Bangladeshi, Brazilian, Japanese, and Canadian staff are among the eleven
Did you know...
- Cezar's Kitchen does not include peanuts in any food item.
- Major allergens are identified above each entree (soy, seafood, etc.)
- Lasagna and curries are the most popular entrees with our students.
- Teachers love the vegetarian items.
- Dormies favorite dinner is a mixed grill.
- Cezar's Kitchen takes special care of our dorm students. Dorm students eat breakfast in the cafeteria five times a week and dinner four times a week. During the last two typhoons, they prepared food in advance and took it to the dorm the night before.
What's new this year?
Last spring, the PTA - with CA's support - conducted focus groups about our cafeteria.
Participants included parents, faculty, administration, and students. As a result of the feedback,
some changes were made for this school year.
Here are some of the changes:
- We now use serving utensils better suited to the item served (and small hands). For example, spoons for corns and beans. This has made it easier for children, in particular, and has improved sanitary conditions.
- Frozen yoghurt replaced ice cream as a healthier option.
- New signs inform students of menu pricing options.
- Unsweetened barley tea has replaced the sugary fruit juice for the youngest students.
- The snack selection is larger with more healthy items
Healthy snacks and more available for sale in the cafe
The cafe, which opened last school year, offers snacks, smoothies, sandwiches and coffee
drinks. It is open before school starting at 7:30 am and after school until 4:00 pm. Students can
pay for snacks using their prepaid account. Plus, parents can monitor purchases and daily
spending via the internet.
Snacks packed with important nutrients are essential for children's growing bodies and brains.
Cezars Kitchen provides an assortment of healthy snacks for sale. Snack choices include
vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options.
Cezars Kitchen provides most of the following snacks every day or in rotation during the week:
- A variety of onigiri, white rice balls wrapped in nori seaweed (vegetarian options available)
- Vegetable sticks with hummus (chickpea) dip (Vegetarian/Vegan/ Gluten Free) are favorite of CA faculty members
- Crackers with a variety of cheese, another faculty favorite
- Seasonal fresh fruit cup (Vegetarian/Vegan/ Gluten Free)
- Mixed berries and yogurt cup
- Crunchy roasted chickpeas (Vegetarian/Vegan)
- Sandwiches (smoked salmon, pastrami, chicken, ham, cheese, vegetarian) on bagels, ciabatta or tortilla. Sandwiches are a favorite in the High School.
- Oatmeal cookies, a favorite in the Elementary School
One other request was to increase the number of Japanese menu items beyond the ramen,
soba, and karaage. The school will explore this with Cezars as our cafeteria serves their
common daily menu for schools in Japan. Items like tempura must be served right after
preparation and other delicious Japanese items are complicated to prepare and serve.
Catering and takeaway dinner services (bento box)
Did you know you can order a US-grown turkey or ham for Labor Thanksgiving Day (or any
day)? Cezars is offering roasted turkeys, hams and all the usual sides (mashed potatoes,
stuffing, cranberry sauce) for pickup. To order, please stop by the cafeteria or email
email@example.com for more information.
Cezars is also preparing to launch a new daily takeaway service to complement the existing
catering options. The new bento boxes will feature a variety of main dishes and a choice of
sides and will differ from their regular daily offerings. Whole roasted chickens will also be
We hope you are finding these columns helpful in understanding the school's finance and
operations. If you have comments, questions, or suggestions for future subjects please send
them to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you.